Sunday, April 26, 2009

Share my Recipe Sunday - Lisa with Home Made Taco Sauce and Seasoning




Lisa from Easy Living has won my Gem of the Award for her thrifty recipes to save money making taco sauce and taco seasoning. For all of us trying to conserve our dollars, it is great to see some recipes that help us do that.

************************************************************************************



When making enough burritos and tacos for a family of four or larger it gets expensive to buy everything needed. The meat and cheese alone is expensive.

So to make it more frugal, when I dont have these items stockpiled (from purchases using coupons to get them really cheap or free) I make my own. Making these two things from scratch shaves $4-$5 off the price of this dinner by itself.

Taco Sauce
1 small can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Mix all together and let sit for at least 30 minutes so spices wed.



Taco Seasoning
6 teaspoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons cumin
3 teaspoons onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Use 2 heaping tablespoons to equal one commercial packet.

When my oldest son and any of his friends are here for dinner, I will stretch the hamburger by adding 1 cup of cooked minute rice.

Lisa B.

2 comments:

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Stretching the hamburger meat by using rice is an inspired idea. I would never have thought to do this.

Thanks for the tip! On my way to learn more about Lisa now.

-Francesca

Drink Recipes said...

Thank you for sharinng this