Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Organizing Magazines (Part 2) - "How To"


So now hopefully you have thought about decreasing the amount of magazines coming into the house. But how can you organize the ones that you may want to keep?
I have to admit that my husband has collected a magazine and there is no talking him out of keeping them. He does read them cover to cover when they come and he does go back and look at and read old issues. It is only this one, so I do need to organize them.
I also have a client that I have not done so well on talking him out of keeping magazines. For 30 years he and his wife (now deceased) subscribed to dozens of magazines and never threw out a single one. Over the last year that I have been working with him I have gotten him to throw away hundreds, and for many of them he has been willing to use the 3 month method. (So we are making tremendous progress)

Here are the two methods I have used to organize for each of them.
1)Magazine Cardboard Holders (many varieties and prices)

2)Plastic inserts to keep your magazines in a notebook


These magazine holders are older, but my client had many of them...so we used them. You can find these at any office store or discount store. Prices vary from cardboard very inexpensive to fancy decorated ones.
Here is a really cute version (watch for an upcoming review and giveaway on it on my review blog).


Another option is to file your magazines in binders.
You can find these plastic pieces that I have found by mail order. I was having a hard time locating where I bought them, but did find them here.

This is what the plastic strip looks like.


You just open up your magazine and slip it in the slot.


Then you just put them in the binder and store your binders on the shelf.



4 comments:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Great organizing, our office is supposed to look like that.

Kristen said...

In the past, I have taken those ugly magazine holders and covered them with cloth to make them look like the cute expensive ones. I guess I am to cheap to pay more than a buck to organize my magazines! The nice thing about covering them yourself is that you can match them to your decor and don't have to rely on a manufacturer who may have horrible taste.

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Love the Magazine holder! Lisa is incredibly talented. What a great way to make an office pretty. So glad you featured her. I can't wait to get one too.
Thanks for sharing. You have a great blog!

Janet Bernasconi
Janet's Creative Pillows