Sunday, June 28, 2009

Share my Recipe Sunday - Kitchen Stewardship - Banana Flax Muffins



I am so pleased that Katie from Kitchen Stewardship added this recipe to our list this week. She has won my "Gem of the Week" and can pick up the button for her blog. I have been trying to eat healthier and have for the first time been using flax seed in a smoothie this week. I haven't gotten advanced enough to add it into a recipe but I am excited to try this recipe! I love banana nut muffins. There is one that I used to get with Jenny Craig that I loved and is lower calorie. I haven't been able to find a recipe that I like as well for the calorie count it had. So...will defiantly try this one.

Please join us for Share my Recipe Sunday! You can pick up recipes and add new recipes weekly. You can add the Share My Recipe Sunday to your post and link it here so others can see all the recipes. If you win the Gem of the Award that week then you can pick up that button and add it to your sidebar or post. Be sure to link it to your recipe!


*************************************************************************************
Recipe Connection: Banana Flax Muffins

We’re thinking about omega-3s this week, and one way to get them into even your baking is to use ground flax seeds in place of part of the fat in a recipe. Here’s an easy, yummy, kid-friendly muffin recipe for you to try, or get bold and learn to substitute flax into your family’s favorites (see below for details)!

Banana Flax Muffins

* 1 ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour (works just fine with regular whole wheat)
* ¾ cup ground flaxseed
* ½ cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 whole egg
* ½ cup oil or melted butter
* 1 cup mashed bananas (I used VERY ripe bananas)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional - but adds MORE omega-3s!)

In large mixing bowl, mix together flour, flaxseed, sugar, and baking soda. In separate bowl, mix egg, oil, bananas, vanilla, and yogurt. Mix wet into dry ingredients. Fold in walnuts. Use paper muffin cups or spray the muffin pans with non-stick spray. Bake large muffins 20-25 minutes (or mini muffins for about 15 minutes) at 350 degrees. Makes 12 muffins or 30 mini-muffins.

How to Substitute Flax into a Baking Recipe

* Take out some of the fat in your recipe - butter, shortening (eek!), oil, whatever. I usually have been very safe taking out 1/4 cup of fat, whether there’s 1 cup or 1/2 cup in the original recipe.
* Replace that with 3x as much flax meal. If you delete 1/4 cup of fat, add 3/4 cup of flax. That seems like a lot, but it always works!
* You may need to store your baked goods in the fridge - I found they go bad faster with flax involved.

Good luck and enjoy!
Kitchen Stewardship


No comments: